Target is following through on their promise to provide free credit monitoring to guests affected by the data breach. Target has partnered with a company called Experian (Protect My ID) to provide this service to guests.
If you were affected by the breach, head over to the Target Credit Monitoring site to get your free year of credit monitoring. All you have to do is type in your full name and email address.
You’ll then receive an email within 1 – 5 days containing an activation code, along with instructions. My code came within about 10 minutes of submitting the form.
Open the email and click on the link to be taken to the Protect My ID website. Enter the code that was given in the email. Fill out your personal information, including your social security number, answer a couple of questions, and you’re all set up!
If you’d like to receive text message alerts, it’s easy to set that up. Click on the ‘My Profile’ tab, then ‘Alert Settings’. Check the box labeled ‘Yes, send my alerts as text messages.’, enter your phone number, and select the time of day you want to receive alerts. Save your changes, and you’re done!
This free one year of credit monitoring service includes the following:
- Credit Report: You will get a free copy of their Experian credit report. If you enroll online, your report will be available online. Online credit reports are available for 30 days.
- Daily Credit Monitoring: You will receive alerts for one year that reflect changes to your Experian credit report during your membership term. This includes new inquiries, newly opened accounts, new derogatory information (such as delinquencies or medical collections) and more.
- Identity Theft Resolution: If confirmed that you have been the victim of identity theft, you will be assigned a dedicated, U.S.-based Experian Fraud Resolution Agent who will walk you through the fraud resolution process—and remain available to answer questions—from start to finish.
- Identity Theft Insurance: If you have been a victim of identity theft relating to this incident, you will immediately be covered by a $1 million insurance policy that can help you cover certain costs, including lost wages, private investigator fees, and unauthorized electronic fund transfers for one year.
- ProtectMyID ExtendCARE: Access to personalized assistance from a highly-trained Fraud Resolution Agent will continue even after the initial one year ProtectMyID membership expires.
Please note that you’ll need to complete the sign up process before April 30, 2014 to get your free credit monitoring. This is only for guests that were affected by the data breach in December of 2013.